Advanced Quantum Mechanics
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Andreas Buchleitner
Time: 4 + 3 st., Mi, Fr 10-12
Room: HS I
- Scattering theory: scattering amplitude and cross-section, partial wave expansion, Lippmann-Schwinger equation and Born series.
- Fundamentals of the representation theory of groups, in particular of the rotation group SO(3). Tensor product representations and irreducible representations. Wigner-Eckart theorem. Applications to angular momentum and spin couplings in atomic, molecular and condensed matter physics.
- Time-dependent perturbation theory: Dyson-expansion, Fermi’s Golden Rule, examples of application to important time-dependent quantum processes.
- Many-particle systems: identical particles, spin-statistic theorem, variational principles, Hartree and Hartree-Fock approximations.
- Interaction between radiation and matter. Quantization of the electromagnetic field. Interaction Hamiltonian, emission and absorption.
- Relativistic quantum mechanics and quantum field theory; Dirac equation, quantization of Klein-Gordon and Dirac’s equation.
- F. Schwabl, Quantum Mechanics (2007, Springer)
- W. Greiner, Quantum Mechanics, An Introduction (Vol. 4, 2001, Springer)
- C. Cohen-Tannoudj, Quantum Mechanics 2 (2009, de Gruyter)
- D. J. Tannor, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2007, Univ. Science)